Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,360 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Lancashire Patent Belting & Hose Company of Salford
1887 S. J. McMeehan of the company wrote to the The Engineer about a monitored demonstration of their belting in Baxter and Co's stone breaking machine; the company address was Strangeways, Manchester
1891 Released a catalogue of their leather belting. 
1894 Catalogue of Belts of various kinds including Hair Belting, Hair and Leather' Endless Lancashire Belts for Threshing Machines, Bottom Belting and India Rubber and Canvas Hose.
Listed in Slater's Manchester & Salford Directory (e.g. 1879, 1895, 1903) as makers of rubber & flax suction delivery hose, Lancashire belting &c., patentees & manufacturers of the original Hair Belting. In the 1895 directory the proprietor is named as S. J. M'Mechan.
The premises are shown on Goad's Insurance Plans for Manchester, Map 45 (updated c.1899), with the unusual comment ‘Admission refused’. The building was between Tortworth Street and the northern bank of the River Irwell, close to Waterloo Bridge. The ground area was approx 50 ft by 90 ft. At that time, the adjacent site immediately south of the works was home to a 'fire salvage dealer' and to a horizontal boiler, while the next building (on the corner of Tortworth Street and New Bridge Street) was home to Butt Bros., Manufacturing Stationers. North of the belting works was a coal yard, and then the works of the Automatic Gas Meter Corporation Ltd, whose works boiler was served by a 150 ft chimney.
Note: In Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford, 1879 (Part 1) David M'Mechan (of the Lancashire Patent Belting Co) is listed as a manufacturer and commission merchant, WIRE WORKS MILL, Tortworth Street, Mary Street, Strangeways (House: Park Place, 202 Gt Clowes Street, Lower Broughton). Reference to the 1849 O.S. map and comparison with Goad’s map of 1899 shows that the premises of the belting factory and the former Manchester Wire Works (of John Staniar and Co) were one and the same, although the latter’s address was given as 1 Mary Street. In fact the lower end on Mary Street was renamed as Tortworth Street at some point. Furthermore, an 1879 advert for John Staniar & Co lists 'Lancashire Patent Driving Belts' among the products offered.