Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,097 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lancelot George Prickett (1856-1895)
1895 Obituary 
LANCELOT GEORGE PRICKETT, F.C.H., born on the 15th of December, 1856, was the son of the late Mr. Thomas Prickett, J.P., of Bridlington, Deputy Lieutenant for the East Riding of Yorkshire.
In 1875 he entered the Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper’s Hill, of which he was appointed a Fellow three years later. After twelve months’ practical training in the works of Westwood and Baillie at Poplar, he commenced active duty as an Assistant Engineer in the Public Works Department of the Government of India in October, 1879.
He was posted to the Punjab Northern Railway as Personal Assistant to the late Frederick L. Dibblee.
In 1881 he was employed on the survey of the Sardah Canal and in the following year on the surveys for the Pilibhit and the Cawnpur-Farukhabad Railway extensions.
Mr. Prickett was next engaged on the Muttra-Jumna Bridge, his work in connection therewith being specially recognised by the Government.
In 1885 and 1886 he was on the Kalpi Bridge Division of the Cawnpur-Kalpi State Railway, and in the following year his services were lent to the Indian Midland Railway Company.
After some months’ furlough Mr. Prickett was transferred to the Bengal-Nagpur Railway Company, his services in connection with the construction of that line being formally acknowledged by the Board of Directors.
In May, 1892, he was appointed Assistant- Secretary to Government in the Railway Branch of the Public Works Department, which post he held until his death, having attained the rank of Executive Engineer in November, 1892.
On the 27th of February, 1895, when on the point of taking two years’ furlough to England, he was attacked by cholera, to which he succumbed in less than eight hours. Mr. Prickett was an energetic member of the Calcutta Light Horse and Honorary Secretary to the Fine Arts Club of Simla, showing considerable promise as a painter.
He was elected an Associate Member on the 6th of February, 1883.