Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,016 pages of information and 225,325 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Lea-Francis was a motor manufacturing company that began life building bicycles.
1896/7 Directory: Listed under cycles as Lea and Francis, Lower Ford Street, Coventry. 
1903 They branched out into car manufacture. Lea-Francis built cars, under licence, for the Singer company.
1906 Lea and Francis capital reduced from £50,000 to £44,000.
1912 Listed in Spennell's directory of Coventry as Cycle Manufacturers. 
c1913 Arthur Alderson joined the company
1914 Motor cycle and cycle manufacturers. 
1917 Lea and Francis Motor Syndicate wound up.
1925 Motorcycle production ceased.
1927 Lea and Francis reduce their capital from £100,000 to £50,000.
c1930 Split from the Vulcan Motor and Engineering Co
1931 Receivers appointed
Former Riley employees Hugh Rose and George Leek purchased the assets and the company became Lea-Francis Engineering.
1937 The company had a chequered history with some notable motorcycles and cars, but financial difficulties regularly arose. The Hillfields site was abandoned in 1937 when it was sold by the receiver and a new company, under the name Lea-Francis Engineering (1937) Ltd, moved to Much Park Street in Coventry. It survived there until 1963, when the company was finally wound up.
1943-46 Annual reports in Coventry Archives
1963 The motor manufacturing parts of the company passed into the hands of the Receiver leaving Lea-Francis to continue with their engineering business.