Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,216 pages of information and 209,721 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1887 Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping, 2 White Lion Court, Cornhill, London E.C. B. Waymouth, Secretary.
Lloyd's Register of Shipping is a maritime classification society.
It owes its name and foundation to Edward Lloyd's 17th century coffee house in London frequented by merchants, marine underwriters etc, all associated with shipping. The owner helped them exchange information by printing a sheet of all the news he heard.
In 1760, the Register Society was formed by the customers of the coffee house who assembled the Register of Shipping, the first known register of its type.
In 1764 The Society printed the first Register of Ships in order to give both underwriters and merchants an idea of the condition of the vessels they insured and chartered. A vessel remains registered with Lloyd's until it is sunk, wrecked, hulked, or scrapped.
1874 Henry Hozier was appointed secretary; the Society was responsible for superintending agents and collecting marine intelligence globally.
20th century: Lloyd's was one of the 3 classification societies which supervised the construction of ships.
1922 A war memorial was erected in the office in Fenchurch-street, to the memory of the members of the Society's staff who fell in the Great War. It was unveiled on Thursday May 11th by Field-Marshall, the Right Honourable Lord Methuen. Mr J. Herbert Strutton, the chairman of Lloyd's Register, stated that 111 members of the Society's staff had joined the colours during the Great War, and that of them, fourteen did not return.
1949 The British Corporation Register of Shipping amalgamated with Lloyd's Register
2013 It is still going and the main office is located at 71 Fenchurch Street, London.