Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,127 pages of information and 223,036 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Loughor railway viaduct is a railway viaduct carrying the West Wales Line across the River Loughor.
The original structure was built completely in timber and was engineered by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and K. E. Fletcher. The timber was later replaced with wrought iron, and then with steel plate. It is currently a Grade II listed structure. The structure is in striking contrast to the adjacent Loughor Road Bridge.
The Loughor viaduct dates from circa 1860 and was built to carry two tracks. The viaduct sits on a five mile section of track between Cockett and Duffryn which was reduced to single track operation in 1986 to save on maintenance costs.