M. Garton and Son

of Haddon Street, Hull, Yorks (East Riding) - 1956
Better known as funeral directors and limousine hirers, the company has its own website: [1]
- 1888 Mark Garton, a Hull joiner, commenced trading from premises in Day Street, Anlaby Road.
- c1900 At the turn of the century, he began to conduct funerals. The joinery and building side of the business grew, so larger workshops were found in St. Georges Road.
- 1925 A shop in Arthur Street was bought, to take funeral orders and to sell flower vases for the cemetery. A chapel of rest was not included then, as, in those days, the deceased remained at home, with relatives and friends calling at the house to pay their respects. Around the same period a larger workshop was found in Haddon Street, Hawthorn Avenue, and the St. Georges Road premises were sold. The manufacturing joinery side of the business had around 20 employees at the time.
- 1932 Premises were purchased in Anlaby Road in order to include a chapel of rest. Mark Garton's son, Albert, continued to develop the business.
- 1940s Albert's two sons, Ron and Walter, became involved in the firm.
- 1950s/'60s Ron developed contracts in the trade and coffins were manufactured and supplied to other Funeral Directors throughout East Yorkshire. The cars for the funerals had to be hired until a second-hand hearse and car were purchased. Walter later left the business.
- 1967/8 New Humber Hawk limousines were bought and the cars were also available for weddings.
- 1968 Ron's son, Malcolm, joined the firm in August, starting at the workshop in Haddon Street where coffins were still being hand-made.
- 1977 A compulsory purchase order was placed on the Haddon Street workshop, which resulted in a move to premises in Hessle Road which included offices, a chapel of rest and garaging under one roof.
- The joinery business ceased because planning regulations did not allow machinery to be used for manufacturing at the new site. The last items made at Haddon Street were garden gates.