Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,627 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Midland Electric Manufacturing Co (MEM) of Reddings Lane, Tyseley, Birmingham, and of 25 Old Street, London, EC1 (1937)
1908 Company founded by Walter Leonard Barber at 108 Conybere Street to make electrical appliances.
Later moved to the Stafford Works, Barford Street, Birmingham.
1926 Public company.
1927 Started to manufacture motor control gear, to meet the increasing use of electric motors in industry
1936 Took over the former Rudge-Whitworth factory in Reddings Lane. They employed around 1,000 persons.
1937 Electric switchgear manufacturers.
1961 Manufacturers of switch, fuse and motor control gear and high efficiency electric fires and convectors. 1,500 employees.
1961 Occupied a new factory at Holyhead, Anglesey, in response to labour shortage in Birmingham
1965 Announced its first miniature circuit breaker range
1969 Another new factory was to be built at Washington New Town
Delta's Electrical Division then consolidated several divisions of MEM (250V, 500V), as well as Bill Switchgear, under the MEM brand in 1998