Mann, Egerton and Co
of Norwich was a British car dealer and car coachbuilder.
of 177 Cleveland St., London, W.1.
1898 Company founded.
1905 Public company. The company was founded by Gerald Mann, an electrical engineer, and Hubert Egerton in 1905, although the two had been working in partnership since before 1900. Besides car dealing the company continued electrical installation work.
1908 Company made private.
In 1909 the company supplied its first custom built car body for a Rolls-Royce.
1914 Listed as motor car and electrical engineers.
1915 The company was requested to build aeroplanes for the war effort. Some were built under licence, including 22 Short Admiralty Type 184s and 20 Short Bombers; later the company produced its own Type B, a further development of the Short Type 184. It also built for Airco.
1919 Reconverted to public company.
WWII. In the Second World War, they built vehicle bodies for the Government especially the Austin K2 ambulance.
1961 Motor engineers, and car, commercial vehicle and tractor distributors; contracting (domestic and industrial), refrigeration and marine electrical engineers; general engineers; precision sheet metal work, electro plating; manufacturers of garage equipment, commercial vehicle bodywork, insulated and refrigerated containers, school and office equipment. Also precision engineers to electronic industry. 2,200 employees. 
1963 Motor Show exhibitor. Garage equipment. 
The electrical department was sold to the Westinghouse Brake Co. Mann Egerton was acquired by Inchcape plc in 1973 though its woodworking business continued until bought out by the management in 1986 in 1973 and continues as a brand of car dealers across East Anglia.
Sources of Information
- Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing) by J. M. Bruce. Published 1982 ISBN 0-370-30084-x