Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,024 pages of information and 229,410 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Great Baddow, Essex
1936 Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Co brought together its various research teams working on radio, television and telephony. Great Baddow was chosen because it was sufficiently far from potential sources of electrical interference for all research work to be carried out without problems.
1937 Building work began
1938 Research work started working at the site.
WWII The Royal Air Force took charge of the team dealing with radio propagation in 1940.
1941 The rest of the laboratories were taken over by the Admiralty.
1942 The Air Ministry established the Interservices Ionosphere Bureau at Great Baddow.
1946 Roland John Kemp was appointed assistant chief of research at Great Baddow
1948 Kemp succeeded Mr. R. G. Robb as chief of research.
Expanded to include research in radar, general physics, high voltage, vacuum physics and semiconductors.
At its peak the Centre employed more than 1,200 engineers, technicians, craftsmen and support staff.