Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,057 pages of information and 230,710 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Sevenoaks, Kent
Early 1920s Owen Aisher, a small housebuilder, was making doors and windows for his own use and for sale to others as Marley Joinery Works
1924 Aisher started to make concrete roof tiles when there was a shortage of clay ones; this was done in a shed at Harrietsham, Kent.
1926 Company established: Marley Tile Co
Working with his sons, introduced the "supply and fix" service and supplied other builders.
1928 Established distributed manufacturing units to cut the cost and time of delivery - two further factories were in operation, at Storrington, Sussex and Leighton Buzzard, Beds.
1933-35 The company also produced tiles at a rented former munitions factory at Erith in Kent.
1934/5 Public company
c.1935 Tried a Danish automatic machine; based on this experience, the company's engineers designed their own improved machine which was installed at Erith.
1935 Opened Riverhead, Sevenoaks factory which later became HQ for the company. Followed by factories at Aveley, Essex and Burton-on-Trent.
1937 Factory at Poole, Dorset.
1939 Construction started of Glasgow factory
WWII: concrete products for war use including Mulberry Harbour components
1948 Started making asphalt floor tiles; a concept that Aisher's son had seen in the USA.
1952 Introduced vinyl floor tiles
1959 PVC drainage introduced by Marley Extrusions
1960 Opening of first Marley shop
1961 Manufacturers of roof tiles, floor and wall tiles and other types of plastic floor coverings, also plastic folding doors and rainwater goods. 
c.1963 Introduced plastic foam for cars - Marley Foam
1964 Opened its first builders' merchant depot
c.1974 Name changed to Marley
1974 Divisions were Marley Homes, Marley Triform and Marley Doors, as well as subidiary companies.
1974 Marley Building Supplies Ltd was formed to co-ordinate the activities of Marley's builders' merchant depots
Continued to grow by acquisition
1981 10 concrete tile factories in the UK
1985 Mr Jack Aisher retired as chairman, the first time since the company was founded that an Aisher did not run the company.
1985 Marley sold its shops, to concentrate on production of products.