Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,170 pages of information and 223,198 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Massey Motor Co of Belgrave Road, in Birmingham.
Massey were motorcycles produced from 1923 to 1929, originally by E. J. Massey
1923 Having left the Massey-Arran company the previous year, E. J. Massey produced a new marque under his own name. The new Massey motorcycle was available from January 1923, and had a 545cc Blackburne engine for either solo or sidecar use. A special feature was internal expanding brakes for both wheels. Soon there were further models with an ohv version of the 348cc Blackburne, plus 292cc and 346cc sv JAP engines. A cheaper version of the 292cc sv JAP model also became available a little later. This had two-speed chain-cum-belt transmission and V-rim brakes. However, by the end of the year, production had ceased.
1924 Early that year, both the name and the rights to manufacture were acquired by R. L. Jepson of Blackburn.
Until the end of the decade Massey machines continued to be available, fitted with either Blackburne or Villiers engines.
The British Motorcycle Directory - Over 1,100 Marques from 1888 - by Roy Bacon and Ken Hallworth. Pub: The Crowood Press 2004 ISBN 1 86126 674 X