Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson
Maurice Fitzgerald Wilson (1858-1945)
1945 Obituary 
MAURICE FITZGERALD WILSON was born on the 4th February, 1858, and died on the 23rd December, 1945.
He was educated at Eton and at the Crystal Palace School of Engineering, and, after a short period at the Thames Ironworks, was articled in 1881 to Sir John Coode, K.C.M.G., Past-President Inst. C.E., spending most of his pupilage on the harbour works at Table Bay and Port Elizabeth.
In 1888 he was appointed resident engineer on the construction of the breakwater at St. Ives, Cornwall. From 1892 to 1895 he was resident engineer on the dock works of the London and South Western Railway at Southampton.
In 1896 he was appointed superintending engineer in charge of the survey for the Admiralty harbour, Dover, and later for the construction of the works, on which he was engaged until 1905.
In 1906 he joined the firm of Coode, Son and Matthews, of which in 1924, on the death of Sir Maurice Fitzmaurice, Past-President Inst. C.E., he became senior partner. For nearly forty years he was engaged in the design and construction of harbours, docks, sea defence works, bridges and barrages, including dock extensions for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board ; the Admiralty harbour of refuge at Peterhead; Fishguard harbour; the Lyttelton and Gisbourne harbours, New Zealand; wharves and docks at Singapore; the Jahore causeway; Colombo harbour; entrance works and wharves at Lagos; harbour works on the Gold Coast, in Sierra Leone, and in Gambia; and work for the Whangpoo Conservancy Board, Shanghai.
In 1921 he was appointed a member of the consultative committee of engineers of the European Commission for the Danube. From 1929 to 1933 he was in charge of the technical investigation of the proposed Severn barrage, upon which the report issued in 1933 was based....[more]
1946 Obituary