Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,693 pages of information and 217,207 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1826 Sale notice: 'TO PAPER.MAKERS, SPINNERS, PACKERS, GROCERS, AND OTHERS. TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, .... by order of the assignee of the estate of Mr. S. [Samuel?] Oliver, at the Medlock Paper Mills, Buxton-street, Bank Top, Manchester : THE following PAPER, made from the best materials, well pressed and finished ..... Cap Paper, .... dark and marble paper. .....Brown casing .... Best Callendered parcelling ....'
1826 Sale notice: '.... at the Medlock Paper Mills, Buxton-street, Bank-Top, Manchester, by order of the assignees under a commission of bankrupt: ....Blue and Purple SHOP PAPER, ... TWIST PAPER, .... CASING, .....POT, Blue DEMY, CARTRIDGE, aud TISSUE PAPERS. ...... N. B.—The MILL, with the ENGINES and MACHINERY, TO LET, apply as above.
1833 'Destruction of a Paper-Mill by Fire. — On Monday morning last, between four and five o'clock, a fire broke out in the Medlock paper-mills, occupied by Messrs. Schofield, situated upon the banks of the River Medlock. The engines, under the superintendence of Mr. Rose, were promptly upon the spot, but, notwithstanding the exertions of the firemen, the whole of the machinery, with the exception of the paper-drawing-engine and steam-engine, fell a prey to the flames. The extensive building, which was' about forty or fifty yards long, was nearly destroyed, but a part of the packing-room was saved. The mill was the property of Mr. C. Evans, the banker, of Manchester, and was insured in the Guardian Assurance Company, it is supposed, for nearly the amount of the damage, which is not yet accurately ascertained. The fire was not properly got under until twelve o'clock in the forenoon.'  Location
Bancks's 1831 map shows a Paper Mill on the west bank of the River Medlock, on a plot of land shared with a Dye Works, two ponds, and a row of houses which fronted onto Buxton Street. This is probably Medlock Street Mills, although this has not been confirmed. The site was later occupied by Hanover Mill.