Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,363 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1749 Richard Jordan and Francis Homfray, both of Staffordshire, leased "a water corn grist mill called Velin Griffith and a forge in the parish of Whitchurch" - probably there was an ironworks on the site before then.
1765 A Bristol firm called Reynolds, Getley and Co. acquired Jordan's interest. Amongst the partners of this firm were the ironmasters Harford.
1768 James Harford became a partner
1774/5 Tinplate manufacture started.
By 1786 Harford, Partridge and Co owned the business.
Early 1800s, Richard Blakemore - a relative of the Partridges - was at Melingriffith
By 1810 the works was acquired by the firm of Richard Blakemore and Co, with Blakemore as managing director. Under his direction the enterprise prospered exceedingly. He acquired the Pentyrch Forge and opened collieries in that neighbourhood, and built a tramroad linking Pentyrch and Melingriffith.
Blakemore was a bachelor, and in 1820 he adopted a nephew, Thomas William Booker, who in time succeeded to the business and traded as T. W. Booker and Co. The enterprise continued to prosper, and Mr. Booker's three sons, Richard, Thomas William and John Partridge, were given an interest in the concern.
1858 T. W. Booker Senior, died, and the three sons inherited. Considerable extensions were made to the new works, and additional mills were built and other industries were set up for the manufacture of wire and red ochre.
1872 outside capital had to be obtained. The partnership was converted into a limited liability company under the title of T. W. Booker and Co.,Ltd. Melingriffith consisted of 12 mills and had an annual output of 10,000 tons of sheet iron and 100,000 boxes of tinplate.
A scheme was prepared to convert Pentyrch Works to manufacture steel by the Bessemer Process but the company was unable to finance it.
1878 The company was wound up.
1881 The Melingriffith section was leased to the Cardiff Iron and Tinplate Co Ltd.
1888 After some periods idle, a new company was formed called Melingriffith Co