Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of The Langham, Portland Place, London, W1. Telephone: Langham 2040. Cables: "Metaboxes, Wesdo, London". (1947) Maker of plain and decorated tins and tins for fruit and vegetables (1932), of Baker Street, London
of Reading (1974)
1810 Claimed foundation although several of the constituent companies preceded that date.
1921 Formed as a private company , Metal Box and Printing Industries Ltd, when it acquired controlling interests in Hudson Scott and Sons of Carlisle and Newcastle (est. 1799), Barclay and Fry Ltd of London and Portsmouth (est. 1799), F. Atkins and Co Ltd of Hull (est. 1897), Henry Grant and Co Ltd, of London (est. 1895)
1924 Acquired I. A. Hodgson and Co Ltd of Newcastle (est.1904)
1927 Acquired E. T. Gee and Sons of Liverpool (est.1860)
1929 Acquired Edward C. Barlow and Sons of London (est.1869)
1929 Acquired a perfume factory in Blind Lane (Chequers Way), Palmers Green.
1930 Became a public company. Name changed to Metal Box Company Ltd.
1931 Acquired the British Can Co, of Acton, London.
1932 Public issue of shares; fruit and vegetable canning represented only 20 percent of the business but was growing rapidly and was expected to be an important part of the business in future
1934 Metal Box started rebuilding when the Blind Lane factory disappeared due to the construction of the North Circular.
1935 Two brewers in the Llanelli area, where tinplate was made, saw the opportunity for increased local employment from canning beer. One of these was Felinfoel Brewery, with family interests in the tinplate industry, who prompted Metal Box Co to work with the St. Davids Tinplate Co to make the first British beer cans; these were then sent to Felinfoel for filling.
WWII Made many things for war service including 140 million metal parts for respirators, 200 million items for precautions against gas attacks, 410 million machine gun belt clips, 1.5 million assembled units for anti-aircraft defence, mines, grenades, bomb tail fins, jerrican closures and water sterilisation kits, many different types of food packing including 5000 million cans, as well as operating agency factories for the government making gliders, production of fuses and repair of aero engines
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Metal Containers, Composites, Cartons, Caps, Closures, Advertising and Show Material Paper. A Complete Packaging Service Packed by Extensive Technical Research. Market Research and Publicity Departments, and Design and Photographic Studios. (Earls Court, 1st Floor, Stand No. 593) 
1961 Jointly-owned company, Liquid Packaging Ltd, was formed by the company with a new company to be formed by John Waddington Ltd and International Paper Co of New York, to handle the distribution and sale of machines for making and filling Pure-Pak paper containers
1961 Ten subsidiary and 13 associated companies. More than 25,000 employees. Largest packaging manufacturer in the Commonwealth. Manufacture containers, plain and decorated, in tinplate, blackplate, aluminium, paper and card; composite containers of paperboard and metal; containers in rigid and flexible plastics; printed labels; advertising novelties and display stands.  
1964 Metal Box was the largest user of tinplate in Britain
1973 The company had some 900 employees at the Blind Lane factory.
Changed name to MB Group