Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,214 pages of information and 223,603 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Michael Francis Magill (c1886-1944)
1945 Obituary 
MICHAEL FRANCIS MAGILL, whose death in his fifty-eighth year occurred on 18th February 1944, was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1919. He was educated at St. Colman's College, Armagh, and the Royal College of Science, Dublin. After serving his apprenticeship with Mr. R. H. Leask, engineer, from 1905 to 1910 he entered the service of the Irish Lights Board as an assistant engineer, and three years later was made resident engineer with responsibility for the installation of the cement plant and the design of new equipment.
From 1914 to 1917 he was a designer and draughtsman with Messrs. Short Brothers, Ltd., aeronautical engineers, Rochester, and during the following two years was attached to the Air Ministry as chief draughtsman in the technical department. After holding the position of draughtsman to the British Ropeways Engineering Company from 1920 to 1926 he was employed in a similar capacity by Messrs. Spearing and Company, Ltd., power station engineers, until 1929, when he entered the office of Sir Murdoch Macdonald and Partners, consulting engineers, Westminster, and was engaged on the design of bridges for a period of two years. For the remainder of his professional career Mr. Magill had been occupied as an engineering tutor.