Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,180 pages of information and 215,290 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Michael Mary Brophy (1839-1934)
of James Slater and Co, 251 High Holborn, London, W.C
1934 Obituary 
MICHAEL MARY BROPHY was one of the oldest surviving members of the Institution, having been on the roll for fifty-four years.
He was born near Dublin in 1839 and served an apprenticeship for about two years with the Midland Great Western Railway under the late Mr. George Wilson, and later received training from his brother, Mr. Hugh F. Brophy, a builder, of Dublin. He then took charge of the building of the forts at Kingstown Harbour.
Subsequently he was attached to the Civil Branch of the Royal Engineers and was engaged for four years in surveying in the counties of Londonderry and Cork.
He came to London in 1864 as manager to Messrs. G. H. and A. Bywaters of King Street, Regent Street, and held this appointment for eleven years, after which he went into business on his own account as architect and surveyor.
In 1878 he became a partner in Messrs James Slater and Company of Holborn, heating and ventilating engineers. He made several inventions relating to heating and ventilating, most of which, however, he did not patent.
In 1904 he retired and lived at Margate, where his death occurred, in his ninety-fifth year, on 15th February 1934.
He had been a Member of the Institution since 1880