Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,251 pages of information and 227,823 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Morriston, Glamorgan, Wales
1872 Company established.
1893 'We are glad to learn that the four mills at the Morriston Tin-plate Works, which have been lying idle for some months are now in full work again. The old vertical engine which formerly drove them has been replaced by a powerful horizontal-tandem compound engine, fitted with condenser, trip gear, and automatic cut-off, built by Messrs Taylor, Strewe, Eaton, and Price, of Neath and Briton Ferry. The engine, which was erected under the personal supervision of Mr Thomas Bowen, is 3ft. 6in.-stroke, the cylinders being 28in. and 60in. This somewhat unusual proportion was specially stipulated for by Mr Bowen, and the result certainly bears out his theory, as the engine works most economically, driving the four unusually heavy mills (equal to five of the ordinary size) in full work with one boiler alone instead of three as formerly. The pistons are fitted with Bowen's patent rings, which give capital results, and the automatic cut-off, which is of an extremely simple design, acts most efficiently, the speed of the engine keeping perfectly uniform. We understand from Mr Bowen that the Midland Tin plate Works, which is also the property of his company, will shortly be in full work again. This will be good news for the district.'
Cardiff Times - Saturday 18 February 1893
1899 Incorporated as a private limited company.
1914 Tin, tinplate and blackplate manufacturers. Speciality: high grade best charcoal tinplates. Employees 600. 
1920 Duffryn Steel and Tin-plate Work, Morriston, was acquired by Mr Llewellyn Davies, of the Mardy Tin-plate Works, Gorseinon and the Pontyffynon Works, Camarthenshire, and Mr. F. R. Phillips, of the Bryn Tin-plate Works, Pontardawe