Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,416 pages of information and 233,868 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Murrell Robinson Robinson (1821-1900)
1900 Obituary 
MURRELL ROBINSON ROBINSON was born on the 20th August, 1821.
As a young man he was engaged for about three years on the Ordnance Survey, and was subsequently employed for a time on the Great Western Railway.
In 1843 he became Secretary to General Moody, then Governor of the Falkland Islands, and three years later he was appointed Deputy Surveyor- General to the Government of Cape Colony, which post he held for ten years. He then had charge for two years of the whole of the Public Works of the Colony; was subsequently for four years Deputy Colonial Engineer and Commissioner of Roads, and in 1863 was appointed Chief Inspector of Public Works.
Between 1848 and 1850 Mr. Robinson rendered special services on the Eastern Frontier when employed by Sir Harry Smith in distributing land to Dutch farmers at a time of great excitement after the engagement of Boom Plaats in the divisions of Aliwal North and Dordrecht.
He was again selected by Sir George Cathcart to devise and carry out in 1852-54 a scheme for the occupation of territory recently taken from the Tamboukis. Mr. Robinson superintended, during his term of office as Chief Inspector of Public Works, the construction of many important roads, lighthouses, piers and bridges, of which that over the Great Fish River may be mentioned. In 1876, after thirty years’ service, he retired on pension and returned to England.
He died at his residence, 95 Philbeach Gardens, S.W., on the 25th January, 1900, in the 79th year of his age.
Mr. Robinson married in 1850 Mary Anne, youngest daughter of Mr. John Bardwell Ebden, one of the earliest British settlers in the Colony.
He wm elected an Associate of the Institution on the 28th May, 1861, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 24th May, 1870.