Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,388 pages of information and 230,040 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1928 November. National Flying Services Ltd (NFS) was formed, under a proposal by the Hon Frederick Guest for a central organisation to co-ordinate a national network of flying clubs and aerodromes.
In January 1929, the British government published a White Paper that set out the terms of an agreement with NFS. NFS then developed Hanworth Park as a functional aerodrome, renamed London Air Park, with Hanworth Park House as a country club and the headquarters of NFS. Hangars were erected in four separate areas of the park.
On 31 August 1929, Hanworth aerodrome was re-opened by Mary Russell, Duchess of Bedford. The first training aircraft used by NFS were Simmonds Spartans, DH.60X Moths and DH.60M Moths, followed by Blackburn Bluebird IVs.
During 1930, NFS started operating Desoutters for air-taxi and charter work. Following a financial loss in the first year, Sir Alan Cobham joined the board, and Colonel the Master of Sempill became Chairman