National Fuse Factories
National Fuse Filling Factories were established by the Ministry of Munitions
- NFFF Leeds (Armley Road)
Original function: spindle factory of Jonathan Hattersley and Son Ltd. Opened: Early 1916. Management: Leeds Munitions Committee which acquired the rights to manufacture the No. 106 fuse from the Leeds Munition Co Ltd. and transferred the work to the former spindle works of Jonathan Hattersley and Sons. Work was also shared by sites at Wellington Street (NOF No. 5) and Sweet Street (NOF No. 6). Together they produced up to 100,000 fuses per week in 1918. Staff at the three sites numbered 1,470 in October 1918 of whom 86.2% were women. Munitions: No.106 type fuse. Notes: This factory became National Ordnance Factory No. 4.
- NFFF Leeds (Sweet Street)
Original function: unknown. Opened: early 1916. Management: Leeds Munitions Committee. Munitions: assembly and gauging. Notes: became National Ordnance Factory No. 6.
- NFFF Leeds (Wellington Street)
Original function: unknown. Management: Leeds Munitions Committee. Munitions: fuzes. Notes: became National Ordnance Factory No. 5.
- NFFF Luton - Chaul End
Construction started: date unknown. New factory of George Kent Ltd. Opened: June 1916. Management: George Kent Ltd. Munitions: No. 80 fuse.
- NFFF Dublin, Parkgate Street
Construction started 1916 Opened 1917 Management: Board of Management Munitions: Fuses; aeroplane bolts (1918)
Sources of Information
- First World War National Factories; English Heritage
- Ministry of Munitions