Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,009 pages of information and 229,287 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henley were motorcycles produced in Birmingham from 1920 to 1926, firstly in Spring Hill, and then Doe Street.
1920 The firm started out with their first model. This was powered by the usual 269cc Villiers two-stroke engine, and was available in two forms. One was single speed and the other two-speed through a Sturmey-Archer gearbox. Both had belt drive.
1921 By now those two lightweights had been joined by machines with 293cc and 677cc sv JAP engines, also with belt final-drive.
1922 By the middle of that year the firm was concentrating on a single model range that used a 348cc sv Blackburne engine. The company was so successful that they moved to larger premises in Doe Street, where they remained for the next four years. That autumn the 350cc progressed to ohv power, from the oil-cooled Bradshaw engine, a three-speed gearbox, all-chain drive and internal expanding brakes. A sleek appearance was achieved by the use of a sporting frame layout, with sloping top tube. That model was successfully used for competition and also in an Isle of Man TT race.
1923-1925 New models appeared, with 249cc, 348cc ohv and 545cc sv Blackburne powered engines. Some in De Luxe or Super Sports versions, others as complete sidecar outfits.
1926 The original company was sold on to new owners that year, and the trading name was changed to New Henley.