New River Waterworks
of Clerkenwell, London, E.C.
The New River Co's scheme for bringing water to London was completed by Sir Hugh Myddleton between 1609 and its official opening on 29 September 1613 when water entered the reservoir now called the New River Head at Clerkenwell.
1852 In compliance with "The Metropolis Water-works Act, 1852," the reservoirs at the New River-head were converted into filter-beds.
The principal water distribution station of the New River Co was at Stoke Newington. By 1866 a total engine-power of 1000 hp was available there including 400 hp from 2 single-cylinder rotary engines, made by James Watt and Co, and the remainder from 4 double cylinder engines from Simpson and Co
Sources of Information
- The Engineer 1866/10/26