Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1795 Archibald Keith, who for a long time had been a mould maker, bought some of the machinery from Melville Mill and built a small paper mill on a piece of ground belonging to the Marquis of Lothian on the River South Esk.
By 1825 it was being operated by James Craig
1839 Craig patented an apparatus for the boiling and washing of rags.
By 1851 Two papermaking machines had been installed.
1852 Partnership dissolved. '...Copartnery originally existing betwixt the Subscribers, Robert Craig, Paper Manufacturer, Newbattle Mills, in the County of Edinburgh, and George Craig, Paper Manufacturer at Caldercruix in the County of Lanark, and the late Thomas Craig, sometime Paper Manufacturer at Portobello, in the County of Edinburgh, and which was carried on at Caldercruix, under the Firm of GEORGE CRAIG & COMPANY, Paper Manufacturers, has been DISSOLVED...'
1890 The mill closed when agreement could not be reached to renew the lease. 300 employees lost their jobs, though some transferred to Craig’s two other mills at Moffat and Caldercruix.