Newcastle and North Shields Railway
The Newcastle and North Shields Railway was opened in June 1839 from a station in Carliol Square in Newcastle upon Tyne to North Shields.
In 1840 there were twenty trains a day in each direction
It was later extended to Newcastle Central Station to the west and to Tynemouth in the East, initially at its own station but later to a through station linking with the Blyth & Tyne Railway.
1845 It was later absorbed by the Newcastle and Berwick Railway
A skew bridge over Willington Waggonway was designed by Robert Nicholson.
Sources of Information
- The York Herald, and General Advertiser, Saturday, February 01, 1845
-  The Guide to Railway Masonry: Comprising a Complete Treatise on the Oblique Arch, in Three Parts' by Peter Nicholson. Geometrical analysis of skewed arch over Willington Waggonway
-  Wikipedia
- Bradshaw’s Railway Companion 1840