Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 12 Old Jewry Chambers, London
Formed as the Shanklin and Chale Railway to run the six miles between the towns.
1889 The name was changed from the Shanklin and Chale Railway, as incorporated, to the Newport, Godshill and St. Lawrence Railway.
The original scheme was abandoned and it reappeared under the new name as a 6.75 mile route between Merstone and Ventnor. 
1897 The first section of line, about 5 miles of 7, was opened for traffic on July 20th.
1900 The remainder of the line was opened in June 1900 to Ventnor West.
1913 the company went bust and was absorbed by the Isle of Wight Central Railway (IoWCR).