Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Nine Elms Depot

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Nine Elms is a district of London, situated in the far north-eastern corner of the London Borough of Wandsworth between Battersea and Vauxhall.

Nine Elms was formerly the London terminus of the London and South Western Railway opened on 21st May 1838 as the terminus of the London and Southampton Railway. The neo-classical building was designed by Sir William Tite. The station was connected to points between Vauxhall and London Bridge by Thames steam boats.

In 1848 Waterloo station opened and became the London terminus.

The area adjacent to Nine Elms station became the company's main locomotive works, Nine Elms Works, until their relocation to Eastleigh in 1909. The company's largest locomotive depot was located on the south side of the main line - Nine Elms Depot.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information