North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers
1870 The North of England Institute of Mining Engineers broadened its remit to include mechanical engineers. The name was changed to the North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, generally known as "The Mining Institute".
1876 The Institute obtained its royal charter.
The Institution had an important influence on the establishment and subsequent development of the College of Physical Science, and therefore of its successors, Armstrong College, King’s College and the University of Newcastle upon Tyne
1890s Joined the Federated Institution of Mining Engineers
Early 20th century: incorporated in the Institution of Mining Engineers
Sources of Information
-  History of the Mining Institute