Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,047 pages of information and 222,629 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
in the Afan Valley, Neath, Port Talbot
This undertaking consisted of numerous slants and pits, started c.1848 by the Company of Copper Miners. The first was abandoned in 1851 and the last when the mine closed in 1927.
1853 Accident at No. 13 Pit: three killed when rubbish fell down the balance pit.
By 1869 the owners were the Governor and Company of Copper Mines.
1884 James Lewis killed in an accident. Mine owners: Cwmavon Estate and House Co.
1896 Owners: Wright, Butler and Co.
By 1908 the owners were Baldwins Ltd
By 1912 owned by the Oakwood Colliery Co.
1920 'FATHER AND SON AMONG THE DEAD. A serious explosion occurred in the early hours of this morning at the Oakwood Colliery, Pontrhydyfen, near Port Talbot. Some men on the night shift were engaged in shot firing when there was suddenly terrific explosion. Three men were killed outright, three were seriously injured, and nine were slightly injured. The deceased men are J. Davies and W. Davies, father and son, of Pontrhydyfen, and J. Nicholas of Cwmavon. The injured men were conveyed to hospital at Aberavon by motor ambulance, whore the three seriously hurt remain in precarious condition. The explosion occurred in a new heading where a large number of men were engaged, and it is stated two men are missing. All work has been stopped at the colliery.'
By 1923 the owners were Tymaen Colliery Co.
1927 Mining ceased.
The above information is mainly drawn from the Welsh Coal Mines website. This also includes a list of some of the individual slants and the dates when they were abandoned.