Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
This mill was rebuilt in 1912 and became known as the Royal Mill.
In 1801, with improved profitability after several lean years McConnel & Kennedy commissioned the building of the New Mill, completed in 1806. This factory had 8 floors and covered an area of 650 square yards. Gas lighting was installed in 1809 by Boulton and Watt. By 1811, with a downturn in trade, like many others, the firm of McConnel and Kennedy went bankrupt. Later, in better times, they were to build the Sedgewick Mill.