Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,608 pages of information and 213,708 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 107 or 42a St. Albans Road, Watford
Onaway were motorcycles produced from 1905 to 1908 in St. Alban's Road, Watford, Hertfordshire.
The first machine was introduced at the late-1905 Stanley show. It caused interest in as much as it differed from the rest in its frame construction. This was solely of straight tubes for strength and lightness, with the engine carried in a cradle between the down and saddle tubes. The twin top-tubes ran directly from the headstock top to the rear axle so that the large seat was mounted well above it on coil springs, but still gave a low riding height. Large sprung foot-boards gave the rider further comfort.
The engine was a 5hp Kelecom V-twin, but a single was also available. Drive was by belt from an Osborne free-engine pulley, either direct or with four-speed gear. It had two petrol tanks and braced forks.
Despite its comfort, the lines of the machine failed to attract buyers, so the make was short lived.