Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,417 pages of information and 221,179 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Pembroke Dockyard was founded in 1814 when a Naval Dockyard was established.
1816 On the 10th February 1816 the first two ships launched from the dockyard were Valorous and Ariadne, both 28 gun frigates. In the span of 112 years, 5 Royal Yachts were built along with 263 other Naval vessels.
1844 As the dockyard and its importance grew, the need to defend it was addressed and Pembroke Dock became a military town. Work began in 1844 to build defensible barracks. In 1845 the first occupiers were the Royal Marines of the Portsmouth Division followed though the years by many famous regiments.
Between 1849 and 1857 two Martello towers of dressed Portland stone were constructed at the south-western and north-western corner of the Dockyard. Both were garrisoned by Sergeants of Artillery and their families.
1889 The Battleship Edinburgh was constructed.
1909 See plan of dockyard in 1909.
1922 The last ship launched from the dockyard was the RFA tanker Oleander on 26th April 1922.
1926 With the closure of the dockyard in 1926, unemployment was high until 1931 when No. 210 Squadron RAF arrived equipped with Southampton II's flying boats.
For almost 30 years the RAF were based at Pembroke Dock.
During 1943, when home to the Sunderland Flying Boats, it was the largest operational base for flying boats in the world.
1947 The yard closed for the final time in 1947. One of the key players at the dock was Hancock's Shipbuilding Co