Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,709 pages of information and 232,164 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Designer of single and multiple nozzle Pelton wheels and governors.
The business of Percy Hector Pitman, initially at Bosbury, near Ledbury, later at Acton, London.
1901 'Mr. P. Pitman of Halifax' supplied a 3ft diameter Pelton wheel, with two nozzles, to the Tamer(?) Waterworks, Chester. It was combined with a steam engine to drive a dynamo for lighting.
1903 An encased Pelton wheel, the 'Hector' water motor No. 2, with stop valve and driving pulley, manufactured by Percy Pitman, Bosbury and Ledbury, Herefordshire in 1903 is in the possession of the Science Museum. Entry here.
1907 Pelton wheel-driven winch for hauling 10-ton wagonloads of slate up a 40 degree incline at the Cambrian mine at Glyn, North Wales. Pelton wheel 4 ft diameter, head ~100 ft. There was no governor, the speed being controlled by a lever-operated jet deflector
1908 Percy Pitman of Cropthorne advertising 'The latest Mechanical Toy, the "Tango-motor" '
1909 'Mr. Percy Pitman, of Acton, has secured an order from the New Zealand Government for two hydraulic governors for regulating the speed of two 80-h.p. Pelton wheels, which are used for driving stonecrushing plant at the Mount Egmont Branch Railway, New Zealand.'
1911 of 3 Wilcott Road, Acton, London
1914 Description and illustrations of Pitman's new governor for water turbines 
1915 3200 bhp Pelton wheel for India. 275 rpm. 850 ft head. Pitch diameter 85". Pitman's business address: 25 Victoria Street, Westminster.
1926 Description in 'The Engineer' of a 3 bhp Pelton wheel and governor at East Greenwich gasworks, driving a coal conveyor