Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Philip Arthur Manley Nash

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Major-General Sir Philip Arthur Manley Nash (1875-1936)

1875 Born the son of the Rev. William Nash, Rector of Old Somerby

Educated at Somerfields, Oxford, and Radley College, near Oxford.

1893 Apprentice at Richard Hornsby and Sons

1897 Joined the Great Northern Railway

1899 Joined the East Indian Railway

WWI Appointed Director of National Filling Factories, Ministry of Munitions 1915-1916; Deputy Director General of Transportation, British Expeditionary Force (BEF) 1916; Director General of Transportation, British Expeditionary Force (BEF) 1917; Inspector General of Transportation, Western Front 1918-1919;

He relinquished his commission with honorary rank of Major General in 1920. He was Director General of Traffic, Ministry of Transport 1919-1922.

He was also chairman W. T. Glover and Co, vice-chairman of Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers and British Portland Cement Manufacturers and chairman of Great Universal Stores.


1936 Obituary [1]

Major-General Sir PHILIP ARTHUR MANLEY NASH, K.C.M.G., C.B., was born near Grantham, and in 1889 obtained a scholarship at Radley College, Oxford, where he studied mathematics.

In 1893 he became a premium apprentice in Messrs. Richard Hornsby's works at Grantham, and served for five years.

He then joined the Great Northern Railway locomotive department and in 1899 went to India as assistant locomotive superintendent of the East Indian Railway.

In 1902 he was promoted to be district locomotive superintendent. He was made joint secretary to the Agent, equivalent to assistant general manager, in 1911 and in the following year was appointed secretary.

He returned to England after the War broke out and in 1915 he became director of National Filling Factories under the Ministry of Munitions. In the following year he was transferred to the War Office, with the rank of brigadier-general, and was made deputy director-general of transportation, being appointed director-general in 1917. He subsequently held the position of inspector-general of transportation for the Western Front, and was thrice mentioned in dispatches. He was the recipient of many civil and military honours. He was made a C.B. in 1917, and K.C.M.G. in 1918; he also held French, Belgian, Italian, and American decorations. In 1920 he relinquished his commission with the honorary rank of major-general.

He had returned to England in the previous year, when he was appointed director-general of traffic, at the Ministry of Transport, a position which he held until 1921.

Subsequently he became associated with a large number of industrial firms and financial trusts, including cable manufacturers and cement works.

In 1934 he also became a member of the London Passenger Transport Board Arbitration Tribunal.

He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1920, and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, and an Associate of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.

His death occurred in London on 1st May 1936, in his sixty-first year.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information