Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,385 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1845 a railway between Newport and Pontypool was proposed by the Newport and Pontypool Railway Company.
1874 The Pontypool, Caerleon & Newport Railway, promoted by the G.W.R., was opened for goods on September 17, 1874, from Pontypool South Junction, on the former Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford Railway from Pontypool Road to Coedygric Junction, to a triangular junction (Maindee North, East and West) with the G.W.R. on the east side of the River Usk.
It was intended that passenger traffic on the Pontypool, Caerleon and Newport Railway should begin on October 1, but after inspection by the Board of Trade inspector the opening was postponed until December 21, 1874, when a rather more direct line between Panteg Junction and Pontypool was also brought into use. From this date, four trains daily were run from Cardiff to Hereford and the North by the new route, and a change of station at Newport was no longer necessary.