Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,755 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Part of Liverpool Docks
The dock was designed by Henry Berry and opened in 1785. The dock was named in honour of Queen Charlotte, the consort of George III, and it was later expanded by John Foster, Senior. At its largest, the dock consisted of a main basin and two branch docks, which were separated by a graving dock.
Branch Dock Number 2 (to the north) has since been filled in and is used as a car park. The graving dock is now straddled by an HM Revenue and Customs building.