Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,915 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Produced by S. F. Edge
1906 November. 'Highly interesting to visitors in search of a sound touring vehicle, of fairly good engine power, is the exhibit of Regent Cars on Stand 24 in the large hall. The principal features of this car, which is comparatively a new-comer, may be summarised The chassis is of 18 h.p., with four cylinders, cast m pairs. There are three speeds forward and one reverse. There is a direct drive on top gear, and the transmission is by live axle. Both inlet and exhaust valves are mechanically operated on either side of the engine, and the ignition is low-tension magneto. Water circulation is obtained by a gear-driven pump through a honey comb radiator. Both ignition and throttle control are placed on the steering-wheel. The side brake is internal expanding metal-to-metal on the rear road-wheels, operated in the usual way by a lever on the right-hand side of the driver, and is so arranged that when the lever is pulled back and the brakes applied the clutch is withdrawn, if desired. The car is exceedingly well sprung, the rear springs being elliptical and the front springs extremely: long and flexible. There are two of these cars, and both are fitted with extremely smart Cape-cart hoods and wind shields, so arranged that the shield can be hinged over without unscrewing or screwing up any unnecessary bolts, but merely by operating a little hand-lever which is within easy reach of the occupants of the front seats.'
1906. Produced 18 h.p. shaft-drive model.