Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,077 pages of information and 222,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Marine Lake, Wellington Road, Rhyl, Denbighshire, LL18 1LN.
The Rhyl Miniature Railway is a 15 in (381 mm) gauge miniature railway line located in Rhyl on the North Wales Coast. The line runs in a circle around a boating lake near the promenade, to the west of the town centre. The railway is operated by Rhyl Steam Preservation Trust, a Registered charity.
The railway has a long association with one type of locomotive, a class of six one-third scale 4-4-2 tender engines built by Albert Barnes and Co of Rhyl.
Work on the railway began in December 1910 when it was surveyed by Henry Greenly, to whom permission was given to start work in March 1911, and the railway opened to the public on 1 May 1911. The railway proved to be a great success in its first year. The railway was originally operated using a single Bassett-Lowke Class 10 Atlantic and 6 Bassett-Lowke carriages. In 1913 it was decided to buy a second Class 10 and the "cars de luxe" were built in the companies' workshop. In 1920 the decision was taken to replace the two Class 10 with something more powerful due to them being stretched to their limits during peak season. The resulting engine was the "Barnes Atlantic". Six were built in Rhyl, 4 for the RMR and 2 for elsewhere.
The trackbed then lay bare until 1978 when it was relaid. The railway then started running trains on 1 July 1978.
The new Central station building was opened in May 2007