Richard Bealey and Co
of Radcliffe, Lancs, bleachers and chemical manufacturers.
William Bealey (1683-1763) and his sons Richard (d. 1772) and Joseph (1717-97) were bleachers at Radcliffe from 1750 or earlier.
Under Joseph Bealey the business developed rapidly in the latter part of the 18th century.
1797 Joseph Bealey was succeeded by his son Richard (d. 1817)
The adoption of the new chlorine bleaching created a major need for sulphuric acid and the Bealeys were one of the first firms to make it themselves, adding a chemical works to their business in 1791.
1817 Richard was followed by his own son, Adam (1780-1821).
1821 After Adam's early death the business was continued by his widow Mary (d. 1858), under the style Mary Bealey & Sons. The family were staunch Wesleyans and Mary Bealey built the Radcliffe Close Wesleyan Chapel in 1839.
1850 The works belonged to Mary's eldest son, Richard, from 1850 until his death in 1896
1896 The works passed to Richard's second son, Adam Crompton Bealey (1840-1907).
1907 Following Adam's death the works were managed by his son Herbert Crompton Bealey (1865- ).
Sources of Information
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988.