Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,143 pages of information and 233,396 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Leiston, Suffolk
1778 The company was founded by Richard Garrett.
The company later became Richard Garrett and Sons
1920 The company became part of AGE - Agricultural and General Engineers
1932 Private company
1939 Last lorries produced but continued with other engineering work.
1961 General engineers and machine tool manufacturers. 
1978 (1981?) The works closed.
The Garrett works comprised of two parts - part of the factory is preserved as the Long Shop Steam Museum. The other larger unit was situated about half a mile to the north by the railway line and these buildings still exist and are subdivided into a number of small businesses.