Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,493 pages of information and 233,940 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Robert Harvey and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
June 1888. Sugar machinery.
December 1889.

of Park Grove Iron Works, Glasgow, engineers

Around 1870, James Cook, nephew of James Cook, who had been long in his uncle's employment, together with Robert Harvey, Senior, established a new firm Robert Harvey and Co which took over the firm of D. Cook and Co.

c.1870 Robert Junior returned to Glasgow to join his father as manager and partner in the business

1879 Advert: 'The Copartnery of ROBERT HARVEY & COMPANY, carrying on Business as Engineers and Machine Makers at Parkgrove Iron Works, Kinning Park, Glasgow, of which the Subscribers, ROBERT HARVEY, SENIOR, ROBERT HARVEY, JUNIOR, and WILLIAM MURRAY HARVEY, were the sole Partners, was DISSOLVED by mutual consent upon the 1st day of July, 1879, being the date of the expiration of their Contract of Copartnery.
The Business has since then been and still is carried on by the said ROBERT HARVEY and WILLIAM MURRAY HARVEY, for their own behoof, under the old Company assignation.
J. Jackson, Clerk-at-Law, 120 West Regent Street, Glasgow.
Witness. Thomas Duncan, Apprentice-at-Law, West Regent Street, Glasgow. Witness.' [1]

c.1880 On the retirement of Robert Harvey, Senior, his son Robert took over and developed the business.

1888 McOnie Harvey and Co was formed by the amalgamation of Robert Harvey and Co and McOnie's.

1891 Supplied shears to the Newburn works of John Spencer and Sons

NB at this time Crow, Harvey and Co was of the same address.

1905 Renamed as Harvey Engineering Company, Ltd, makers of sugar machinery and erection of central sugar factories, with a high reputation in all sugar-producing countries.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Glasgow Herald, 19 December 1879
  • The Times, 11 November 1908