Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,441 pages of information and 233,877 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Robert John Lindsay (c1870-1937)
1937 Obituary 
ROBERT JOHN LINDSAY was the proprietor of an automobile engineering business, including motor car service and repairs, which he established in 1928 near Stockport. He was a native of Carlisle, and after leaving school he was employed for five years in the accountant's department at Messrs. Carr and Company's biscuit factory. In 1889 he entered the St. Rollox works of the Caledonian Railway as an apprentice, and served in the shops and drawing office until 1895. In the following year he went to sea as junior engineer in ships of the Red Cross Steamship Company, of Liverpool, and in 1900 he joined Messrs. Elder, Dempster and Company and sailed as chief engineer in S.S. Dahomey, Sokoto, Patani, and other steamships. He became a partner in Messrs. William James, Ltd., motor engineers, of Birkenhead, in 1912. In 1916 he was appointed manager of the motor transport department (running and maintenance) of H.M. Factory, Gretna, and was later transferred to the aero-engine section. He was appointed in 1918 chief examiner to the Aeronautical Inspection Department for all material used at Messrs. Arrol-Johnston's factory for the production of aero-engines. After the War he returned to Carlisle as undermanager at the County Garage and two years later he became a partner in Messrs. Graham and Roberts's Garage, Carlisle, where he managed the technical side of the business. He was appointed managing director of the Deansgate Garage, Manchester, in 1926, and was so engaged until the establishment of his own business.
Mr. Lindsay was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1919. His death occurred in Stockport on 26th January 1937, in his sixty-seventh year.