Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,108 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Robert Thomas Olivier Barbenson (1845-1893)
1894 Obituary 
ROBERT THOMAS OLIVIER BARBENSON, son of the late Mr. T. N. Barbenson of Alderney, was born on the 28th of November, 1845. It being decided that he should adopt the profession of engineering, he was articled to the late Mr. James May, who at that time was Resident Engineer of the Admiralty Harbour of Refuge Works in the island of Alderney.
On the expiration of his pupilage in 1862, he entered the office of Walker and Burges in Westminster, where he remained for about twelve months. He then joined the staff of McClean and Stileman, and during the next six years was engaged in making contract drawings and surveys and in superintending works for that firm.
He was then for a time unemployed, but in 1881 was appointed Resident Engineer of Neath Harbour Works, where he remained until 1885. After another period of enforced rest he obtained in 1887 the post of contractor's engineer on the construction of the Newport and Yarmouth Branch of the Isle of Wight Railway.
On the completion of that work at the beginning of 1889, Mr. Barbenson took up his residence in the Channel Islands, where he lived in retirement at Alderney. He died on the 1st of June, 1893, from the effects of a severe neglected cold.
Mr. Barbenson was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 4th of November, 1877, and was transferred to the class of Associate Member on its creation in 1878.