Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,511 pages of information and 233,943 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Rowrah and Kelton Fell Mineral Railway

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Queen Street, Whitehaven

1874 The company was incorporated.

The 3 mile line was built by William Baird and Co to extract Haematite from the Skiddaw area and opened in 1877. The Cleator and Workington Junction Railway then built a branch to connect with it from Distington.

1908 William Baird and Co, ironmasters, have entered into an agreement to work and stock the line, which is 3.5 miles. This agreement is from year to year only. [1]

The line was disused in 1927

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  • Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies by Christopher Awdry. Published 1990
  1. The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908