of The Cooperage, Sutton Wharf, Plymouth, Devon.
as S. J. Lethbridge (Established 1800), Telegraphic Address: "Casks". Telephone: Plymouth 811 in 1929.
as S. J. Lethbridge (Plymouth) Ltd, Telephone: Plymouth 60121-2; Cables: "Casks, Plymouth" in 1947.
- 1856 Samuel Joseph Lydiar Lethbridge was born.
- 1873 Samuel (Senior) was apprenticed to William Henry Harper on 4 June.
- 1888 His son Samuel John Lethbridge was born.
- c1893 Samuel (Senior) was Cooper at the Cooperage on Sutton Wharf.
- 1914 Samuel (Junior) took on an apprentice.
- 1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturer of Teak Wood Garden and Household Furniture, Trellis Panels, Fire Screens, Coal and Log Vases, Book Rests, Mantel Pieces, Umbrella and Golf Stick Stands, Palm and Plant Tubs. Specialists in Ships' Curios. Stand No PP.22 (Stationery, Printing, Office Appliances, etc., Furniture and Basketware Section - Stand No.PP.22). 
- 1931 Samuel Joseph Lydiar Lethbridge died.
- 1947 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers and Producers of Coopered Palm and Log Tubs, etc. Manufactured from the Wood and Metal of Old Ships. Naval Lamps adapted for Household Lighting. Many interesting Souvenir and Relics and Curios from Ships. (Olympia, First Floor, Stand No. G. 2059) 
- 1926-62 Samuel John Lethbridge was a Cooper and cask merchant with premises at 30 Vauxhall Street (probably renumbered and is no.134, as this is the site of the Cooperage) and at 2 Houndiscombe Villas, 35 Union Street. Plymouth. Note: 2 Houndiscombe Villas is not in the phone books after 1927.
- 1968-72 Samuel John Lethbridge lived in Newton Ferrers in Devon.
- 1978 Samuel John Lethbridge died in Exeter aged 89.
- There is a catalogue entitled Relics and Curios from Old Ships from about 1935 which contains a leaflet with the title of: Introducing New Lines to be shown for the first time at the British Industries Fair, 1938. The name of the company then is: S. J. Lethbridge (Established 1800), The Cooperage, Sutton Wharf, Plymouth. The inside of the catalogue itself (which isn't dated) states that the head office is at 30 Vauxhall Street, Plymouth and there are also premises at - 'Ye Olde Admiral's Locker', 35 Union Street, Plymouth and the Island House, 9 Barbican, Plymouth - this last place is reputedly where the Pilgrim Fathers stayed the night before they left for the New World. Samuel also writes that he exhibits regularly at the Ideal Homes Exhibition as well as the BIF. In the forward it states that 'we' have exhibited every year at BIF since 1928 and 'in the seven succeeding years' ... hence the dating of the catalogue as 1935.
Sources of Information
- Research by Maggie Watkinson (December 2007)