Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,989 pages of information and 229,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Holbrook Lane, Coventry.
By the end of 1934 1,800 cars a year were leaving the factory.
1935 Public company, shares launched on the London Stock Exchange. The company acquired the business previously carried on by Swallow, producing the S. S. car as well as the Swallow motorcycle sidecar. Business had doubled in the past 6 months.
1935 Swallow Coachbuilding Co was put into voluntary liquidation, and was replaced by the Swallow Coachbuilding Company (1935) Limited which continued to make sidecars.
1935 Introduction of the Jaguar name for the cars
WWII Car production halted; the company repaired bombers and manufactured other military products.
1945 The company name was changed to Jaguar because of the unfavourable connotations of the initials "SS" in the war.