Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,123 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1890 SS Robin is a traditional raised quarterdeck coastal cargo steamer built by the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Co in Blackwall, East London and now preserved as a museum.
SS Robin was launched on 16 September 1890 and after being fitted out in East India Docks was towed to Dundee to have the engine and auxiliary machinery fitted. On 20 December 1890, Robin commenced her career in the British coastal service at Liverpool, with a crew of 12 signing the Articles for her maiden voyage.
In 1892 SS Robin was sold to Andrew Forrester Blackwater of Glasgow.
Until 1900 her trading took place mainly between the seaports of Britain, Ireland and the continental ports and was reported to carry bulk cargoes of grain, iron ore, scrap steel, pits props, china clay, railway steel, general cargoes of casked and baled goods such as herring barrels, and even granite blocks for the Caledonian Canal.
1900 SS Robin was sold to Spanish owners and for the next 75 years or so she had three different Spanish owners and was renamed the Maria.
SS Robin was discovered by the Maritime Trust in 1972. Following an inspection, it was decided that she was worth preserving and in May 1974 she was purchased, on the brink of being sold to Spanish breakers.
In June 1974 she came to St. Katharine Docks under her own steam and was renamed SS Robin.