Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,343 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Scottish Iron and Steel Co Ltd. of 105 St. Vincent Street, Glasgow; of 53 Bothwell Street, Glasgow.
WWI During the First World War the Scottish Iron and Steel Co, supported by the Ministry of Munitions, set out to build its own steelworks. Construction started in 1916 but production did not begin until after the war.
1914 Iron and steel manufacturers. Specialities: iron and steel bars, angles, tees, hoops, strips etc. Employees 4,000 to 5,000. 
1938 William Baird and Co Ltd was reconstituted; the company’s Lanarkshire interests were merged with the Scottish Iron and Steel Co Ltd of Glasgow to form Bairds and Scottish Steel Ltd, pig iron and steel manufacturers.
William Baird and Co declined the chance to buy the works back on denationalisation and, when the Iron and Steel Investments consortium bought it in 1963, the old Baird management withdrew. It was no longer viable and the new owners closed it in 1967.