Seán Heuston Bridge, Droichead Seán Heuston or King's Bridge of Dublin.
This handsome cast iron bridge was designed by George Papworth, and constructed in 1827-8 by Richard Robinson of the local Phoenix Iron Works. It was built to carry horsedrawn traffic and presently carries pedestrian and tram traffic.[1]
Approximately 98·5 ft (30 m) long, 30 ft (9·15 m) wide. Originally named King's Bridge, it was renamed Sarsfield Bridge in 1923, and renamed as the Seán Heuston Bridge in 1923.
Recently refurbished to accommodate trams. [2]
See photos here: www.structurae.net and Wikimedia
See Also
- www.web.archive.org
- http://www.bridgesofdublin.ie
- COX, Ronald C.; GOULD, M.H. [1998] - Civil Engineering Heritage : Ireland - Thomas Telford. p.47 / ISBN: 0727726277
- PHILLIPS, M. ; HAMILTON, A. [2003] - Project history of Dublin’s River Liffey bridges - Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Bridge Engineering, Vol. 156, No. 4, December, 2003, pp.161—179 - open PDF