Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,755 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Shaw were motorcycles produced from 1898 to 1905, in Crawley
This was a novel design that fitted the engine behind the bottom bracket and in front of the rear wheel where it was clamped to the chain-stays. A counter-shaft, mounted above and behind the crankcase, was driven by chain to drive the rear wheel by friction roller. In other forms the drive from the counter-shaft was by chain. Footrests were fitted in preference to pedals and the engines used were either Minerva or Kelecom.
1901 Mentioned. The Shaw motor bicycle.
1904 Advertisement for secondhand Shaw Motor Cycle with 2.75 h.p. De Dion pattern engine.
1905 They showed a tricycle that differed in that the two rear wheels had the passenger seat between them, but facing the rear.
1907 Advertisement for secondhand motorcycle. 'De Dion Shaw Motor Bicycle, 2.75 h.p.'
The name then disappeared but resurfaced much later when the firm imported a bicycle-attachment engine from Shaw of Galesburg, Kansas, until 1922.